When you’re not chilling on your new deck from Alexander Decks, we encourage everyone to still get outside and experience what the community has to offer. There are all kinds of community events that go on throughout the spring and summer months, many of them are even free. Kansas City has a lot of vibrant communities that love having events, and they’re all worth attending.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Popcorn in the Park, May 29 @ 10 PM, Liberty – The Liberty Parks and Rec department puts on a free show that’s perfect for families of all sizes. Big Hero 6 will be playing and everyone is invites to enjoy the show with free popcorn, or to bring snacks of their own choosing. The kids will love it, and Big Hero 6 is a movie even the adults will enjoy.
- Vaile Mansion 2015 Strawberry Festival, June 6 @ 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Independence MO – Brining in more than 600 pounds of strawberries and cooking them in every kind of sweet treat imaginable is the perfect way to enjoy a perfect late-spring day. With tons of food, antique vendors, music and even ballet, there’s something everyone can enjoy.
- Theater the in Park, Starts in June at Shawnee Mission Park, Most Evenings @ 8:30 PM – If you’re a Johnson County native, you’ve probably heard of the Park and Recreation District’s Theater in the Park. Every year from June through about the beginning of August performers put on a range of shows from West Side Story all the way to Shrek. Adult tickets are $8, youth tickets are $6 and young children get in free. This year the park will also be hosting Movies in the Park on a regular basis. Find more info at theatreinthepark.org.
- Every First Friday throughout Kansas City – A tradition that started in Kansas City’s crossroads arts district is now a staple of makes the city special. First Fridays feature art, music and other cultural events, most of which have no or reduced costs in celebration of First Friday. While the Crossroads is a still a bustling hub of activity, you will now find similar events through the Kansas City community on the First Friday of every month.
- The American Royal – From September through November, the American Royal holds events and invites tourists and locals alike to join in all kinds of fun. If you’re a seasoned backyard barbecue veteran, you’ll love the October 1-4 world series of barbecue competition featuring the best cue’ anywhere in the world. All of the events are great fun for adults and kids alike.